Friday, June 01, 2007

Sunbeam and rainbows

Sunbeam St Ives sock yarn has been discontinued.

For those who don’t know, this is a heathered “traditional” sock wool: 80% wool, 20% nylon – perfect for men due to its strength and colourways. It is also very much cheaper than most sock yarn. Nancy Bush uses it a few times in “Knitting Vintage Socks” and there is also a pattern for it in “Knitting on the Road”.

So when I spotted enough of this yarn for 5 pairs of socks on ebay for £10.99… I snapped it up!

First Love likes his hand-knitted socks. He likes them so much, he wears them every day. And he is not a “light user”! I left him at home today with the darning needle and his Piece of Beauty Gentleman’s stockings. He is an expert darner! But there is a definite need for several pairs of St Ives socks to be knitted in the coming months.

After the sockapalooooza rainbow socks that is!
Things are not quite as I expected with the rainbow socks! I thought that using a self-striping yarn alongside black would produce a shimmering "rainbow through the storm clouds" effect (humour me here!) but I didn't compute that using two yarns together makes each one go further than it would if it was knitted on its own... so the "bandwidth" of the stripes is very very long. So instead of going: "orange, yellow, green, blue, pink" before the heel turn, it has gone: "orange, yellow, yellow, yellow, more yellow...ooh - green!"
I hung on in there, because it is knitting up well - I seem to have done the right thing to believe the pattern when I was instructed to use 3.25mm needles - which I expected to be too loose. In fact, it suits my tension pretty well. And a really exciting thing happened late last night as I turned the heel... I can't wait to show you!
But I would hate to knit a pair of socks and have my pal think they were brash and ugly... it is a fine line between "fun" and "garish"! Comments? Anyone?

24 comments:

amanda j said...

Well, for what it's worth, I think they look great!

Terri Lynn said...

I think they're beautiful.

Seanna Lea said...

Those are stunning. I love the variation. These are definitely not brash, ugly or garish!

Sue said...

I don't think they're brash and ugly. I think they're gorgeous and I know I would be really happy if they just happened to be my Sockapalooza socks! :-)

Holly said...

Well, I love them and want the pattern. If your pal isn't happy - please! send them to me.

-Holly

nat said...

your socks are fanastic! yet another pair i can only hope are coming my way!

Country Mouse said...

The socks look beautiful, and not remotely garish! I think the black plus variegated colorwork has a lovely effect.

Debra said...

No, no. Not lurid/garish in any way. I think they are absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your pal will love them!

christina said...

Wow, those are entirely gorgeous, not at all garish.

SecretSockPal said...

I completely love them. I have some LL in Rainbow I want to work the pattern on the front of Sensational Knitted Socks with using a black contrast. Now that I've seen yours I think that pair is going to the top of the "to do" list. Where did you find your pattern???

Jessica said...

I think these look great! Fun, not garish.

alison said...

Wow, they're really pretty. Definitely stick with 'em!

Teresa said...

I think they're awesome! What a clever idea!

Alison g said...

The socks are so amazing, it makes me wish I was the recipient. What pattern are you using? I want a pair!! Your sock pal will be very happy I know it!

Lavendersheep said...

I think those are amazing. It makes me want to go right out and buy a skein of Opal in the rainbow stripes.

Becky said...

Oh - wow - I really hope those are mine! So pretty.

debsnm said...

Those are, quite possibly, the most gorgeous socks I've ever seen!! The first pair, actually, that I'm really, really hoping your my sock pal!! Terrific work!

danielle said...

Definitely FUN and not garish -- this is a fantastic sock! I too would love to know what pattern you are using. Your sockpal is a lucky one indeed!

Knot Another Hat said...

Those are fantastic!! I have some of that rainbow yarn and now I know what I want to do with it! Great inspiration!

Mrs. Hipp said...

They look great! If your Sock Pal likes color, then keep going!

tonni said...

I would love to be the recipient of these gorgeous socks!

Heather T said...

That sock is so pretty! The black tones down the colors, so it is not garish at all. Looking at the ball of rainbow yarn, I can't imagine I would ever wear socks made out of it alone. But mixed with the black pattern - stunning and unique.

Saffron said...

That looks beautiful! I love how the black 'slows down' the striping. A very cool effect, I think. :)

gilraen said...

They look georgeous, not garish. :)

Did you make it to Kirsty's opening?

Sounds like you have a perfect DH, one who appreciates your hardwork AND darns it :)