Monday, June 11, 2007

Cinders, sisters and the big hook

First the good stuff: I am amazed and thrilled to be told that I am the winner of the Grand Prize in the Purlescence Storytellers competition! I have won a Zelda bag and Deluxe needle clutch from Offhand Designs. Woo hoo!

If you are new here, you might not know about the Cinderella Stockings – you can find the pattern via the side bar.

Other good stuff – I had lots of great comments on the first rainbow sock, and I am extremely pleased to see that the vast majority would be happy to receive “sisterly” socks rather than identical twins – phew! That was my instinct, but I was worried it was just my Inner Sloth trying to get away with the easy route – i.e. knit it as it comes!

This weekend I had a flirtation with crochet. Crochet flowers. Don’t worry – I am not about to give up The Sock! A friend is running a charity craft stall later in the year and asked me to take part. So I needed a quick-to-make saleable item. Enter the crochet corsage. I made some of these early last year and sold them on Ebay. But this year I have taken it a step beyond – I am using the same pattern, but making them out of Noro Kureyon with a massive hook and then felting them – much classier than simple crochet! Each will be slightly different due to the vagaries of the Kureyon, and also by the embellishments I use for the centre of the flower – some will be beaded, some a vintage button. I will take a picture once there is a "batch" to show. This is my project for weekends. Socks remain the weekday staple!

The not-good-news: First Love has suspected pneumonia. It’s his birthday tomorrow, so I am taking the day off work to lavish him with affection and make sure he gets better soon.

5 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I read Robynn's email last night so I have been waiting for you to post this news all day!

Congratulations - it is very well deserved and I look forwards to seeing the photos of your prize!

Bryony Ramsden said...

YAY FOR YOU!!! That's soooo cool :D :D :D But you totally deserve it :D Congratulations petal :D

I do hope FL feels better soon though. And happy birthday to him.

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Well done ;0) And hope FL is better soon.
India

gilraen said...

You so deserve the Grand Prize. Your stockings are fantastic/beautiful and georgeous!!!

Strangely I was at a crochet class this Saturday too.........

Poor OH, I hope he gets better asap and I hope he had a happy birthday :)

Hanne said...

Congratulations! Your socks really deserved the Grand Prize. We want to see pictures when you get the bag and the clutch.