Friday, August 31, 2007

Circulars?

OK knitting people, I need some advice…

I have swatched for Notorious and “got gauge” with my HipKnits aran silk – woo hoo! Strangely, I have two skeins, one labelled 180g, and another that looks the same, but together they weight 400g…. hmmm. Anyway, I think it is enough if the “metres per 100g” is correct.

So… now I need circular needles. I own one sad old circular, with no size marked, but it appears to be 4.5 or 5mm. It is aluminium with a plastic cable and I only tried it once and hated it. It kinked and twisted and the stitches got stuck at the join between the cable and the needle – shudder! But I know that I cannot possibly rework the Annie Modesitt pattern to knit on straight needles – I had a look at it last night and it did my head in.

So… Denise or KnitPicks or Boye Interchangeables? Or would you buy them singley and get Addi Turbos? (See? I know all the names to drop, but there is no knowledge behind my words!)

7 comments:

Robynn said...

Hee. You know I'm going to say, none of the above. Wood all the way! But if for some inexplicable reason you prefer the metal/plastic circs, there's been a lot of discussion on Ravelry about this... you are on it aren't you? Try here for a start.

RooKnits said...

I love my addi turbos but my addi lace needles are even better... I have heard that Knitpicks are very like the addi turbo lace with pointy points - I would be tempted to try these if you haven't got any circulars at all...

Knittings Nice! said...

Oh defo addi turbos...have been gradually adding to my collection over months as and when need them.

Pat said...

I love my Addi Turbos but they do have a tendency to be slippery which could be tricky with the silk. I'd go with the wood/bamboo ones for ease of use. I've never used interchangeable needles so I can't comment on those.

Hanne said...

I bought a pink Denise set a year ago and I like them very much. I had to buy companion set because I knit everything except socks with them. I've even knitted a lace shawl with Denises, no problem.

The needles are plastic, but they don't feel unpleasant. The set works very well and it has lifetime guarantee with normal use. The cord is a bit thick, but I haven't had a problem with that even when I knit laceweight yarn.
I like very much the fact you can lengthen the cord in middle of the project. For example, when I knitted a pullover for my husband and wanted him to try it on, I just attached more length to original cord and put stoppers in the ends (included in set). You can cast on with bigger size needle and then just swap it to normal size needle. You always have the right size available, even if you're knitting another project with it, because then you can just take the needle off and put the stoppers on.

Bryony Ramsden said...

Addis or bamboos

I like my Denise needles, but they can be way too plasticy sometimes, and the plastic joins aren't always 100% smooth... :(

xxx

Teaandcakes said...

I was recommended Knit Picks Options as the best of the sets, but I'm already a fan of Addi Turbos, and they're the closest to them - I'll be hopefully getting them this week, so I'm yet to see.

A friend bought a bunch of bamboo circs on ebay, and just uses them now.

I'd suggest getting one circular needle first - make sure you like knitting with them before investing in a whole set.