Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Romantic Hand Knits arrives


There will be swatching!
I just received my copy of “Romantic Hand Knits” by Annie Modesitt (whose husband has Multiple Myeloma, just like my First Love. Her blog is essential daily reading for me these days).
Oh my! “Romantic” in the style of Dita von Teese meets Scarlett O’Hara! These are not knits for a shrinking violet. There is a surprising number of “novelty” yarns – ribbon for example, and a new yarn made out of corn / maize called (yup) “Amaizing”. But I think that the styles repay dedicated swatching for substitutes and adaptation to suit. If you think you have the knitting skills for it – this is seriously technical stuff! My absolute favourite has to be “Notorious”. I could imagine this as the top half of a bridal outfit. Very fitted with cables and lace and gathering in strategic places. I also see myself knitting a wrapover cardi “Charade”, which is knit in a ribbon yarn, but I hope to substitute with SWTC Bamboo. My daughter is blown away by a floor-sweeping skirt “Now, Voyager”: I have explained that she will have to knit it herself. Other items I will definitely knit are “June Bride” fingerless gloves, and “Some Like it Hot” elbow-length gloves. The over-the-knee stockings are knit in silk sportweight, which sounds a bit bulky to me – I might have a go at translating them into fingering-weight…
This is not a set of “practical” knits. It is definitely a book to reach for to find a show-stopping garment for a special occasion. “Cleopatra” (sample-knit by Grumperina) is extravagantly elegant. “Jezebel” is downright rude. The cover skirt is sassy and classy. There are two structured formal hats with brims. There are several strangely bulky knits with fugly contrast edgings, which just confused me. Am I missing their point somehow? So no, not all of these are for me. But I would have bought the book just for “Notorious”.
Off to Get Knitted to eye up the Knit Picks circular needles…
Oh - and I also received my Dyeabolical Yarns purchase from Etsy! The colourway is "Scratch Art" and it is Superwash merino fingering. I like the dyeing - though the black could maybe be blacker. I am looking forward to seeing how this knits up. Maybe Mermaid gloves? Or maybe ditch the long armlet idea and go for Pomatomus socks?

4 comments:

Midsummer night's knitter said...

that book is gonna be on my wish list for sure.
India

Hanne said...

The book sounds interesting. Maybe your daughter wants that skirt so badly that she'll be bitten by knitting bug!

I gave you the Rocking girl blogger-button, take it from my blog.

Bryony Ramsden said...

Wow, you've been busy pet! All this stuff going on :D

Yarn = yum
Flower brooch = yum yum yum
FL socks = yum in a weird boy kind of way ;)

Remind FL of what I promised though. I'm off to Coldspring on Saturday - you could still make it down here on time to go there...

Don't forget the shoulder over here though.

xxx

Gabrielle said...

I know that I have seen some of the designs from this book but cannot think where for the life of me! Agree - thought that some things looked amazing but others I couldn't work out at all! However, as I am up to my armpits with my other projects, I am immune to the allure of any more knitting books!

Btw: date up North is set for weekend, 8-9 Sept when I think that I will end up somewhere around your neck of the United Kingdom! So okay...where do I sneak off to go looking for good/unusual yarn?!