Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pigeon Post

Woo hoo! My PigeonRoofStudios order has arrived at last!

And the sportweight sock wool is.... gobsmackingly beautiful! It is like a thicker version of the old Piece of Beauty sock yarn: beautifully springy and soft and the dyeing... ah… sigh…. the dyeing is SO lovely! It is so obviously hand-painted, as in "painted by hand" using a beautiful blend of colours - this is "Nightshade" and it goes through a range of purples with dashes of pure clear blue - wow! Just look at it! It does have a bit of a whiff of vinegar about it, but all is forgiven because it is so totally gorgeous. Can you tell I like it?

I also ordered a skein of handspun. Lovely colours again, but a very uneven spin - it is real "thick and thin" yarn, which I wasn't expecting. It is nothing like the emerald handspun I got from my sockapaloooza pal, and I don't think the two will work together as a Chevron Scarf - boo hoo! So I am not sure what I will do with this... it is very soft, so maybe a simple hat?

I ought to mention that this took a VERY long time to get here. Krista admitted that she had “fallen a bit behind” on international orders, but it is hard to be patient when you see something you must have, order it and wait… and wait… and email… and wait. Luckily I had other projects to distract me. But I thought I should warn you, in case you need some too! Woolgirl stocks her yarn, so I will probably buy from there next time.

It is just as well that I have a dial up connection at home. On Friday I missed the Sheepaints shop opening by an hour and missed all the good stuff. I completely forgot about the Yarn Yard Friday Frolic in my sulk. Then I managed to fill my shopping cart at Poshyarn on Sunday – but by the time my checkout page loaded at 6.05pm, most of the goodies I had selected had been sold! And I failed to get anything at all through the payment process. I also lost a bidding war for a set of Denise interchangeables at Ebay. Sniffle.

Then I came to work yesterday to find one of the yarns I wanted was still available at Poshyarn, and there were two “must haves” over at the Yarn Yard. And I have not ordered any of them … yet! Can you imagine how much money I saved?!

A confession: I have an overwhelming desire to buy some orange and turquoise sock wool – yes, the two colours in the same skein. Wollmeise has a likely suspect – but her shop is closed for online refurbishments. Gemini Knits (Etsy, UK-based) has a version, but is moving house this week. Lovesticks has a self-striping yarn, but it is not available right now. There is another stripey one over at Vesper – but that stuff is like gold dust. And all of this just helps to reinforce the sheer time-wasting ridiculousness of this web-scouring obsession with turquoise and orange! Lets hope it blows over – I do NOT need turquoise and orange socks, people!

3 comments:

Midsummer night's knitter said...

...but you know you wannt it ;0)
India

Bryony Ramsden said...

You bugger. Those are gorgeous. Harumph.

Knittings Nice! said...

Oh defo go for the orange and tuquoise...theres some lime and purple yarn I've seen. The top yarn is scrummy...your new shoes are just the thing and go great with your skirt.