Thursday, September 20, 2007

Woolgirl and another June Bride




My first Woolgirl sock club package arrived yesterday and I am SO pleased I signed up!

The yarn is Miss Babs sportweight superwash merino in a specially-dyed color called "Waterfall". Deep rich blues and purple - mmm! The sunlit picture is the best one of the colour - that elusive blue and purple mix confuses my camera! And it is a deliciously springy 3-ply! I am not immediately sure about the accompanying pattern - it is hard to see but it looks to have lace and cables - and I would probably prefer more solidity for a warm sock in this weight of yarn. I am thinking of knitting Marina Piccola in this yarn - I think it would be a good match. And there are other goodies too - chocolate mint lip balm (smells exactly like After Eights!), a crystal stitchmarker (pretty!) and a Woolgirl Sock Club Journal and pen - woo hoo! I am a sucker for stationery! And there are competitions to enter too! Gold stars for quality, presentation, value and general loveliness!
Also in the post: my Denise interchangeables! Yes, I went for the "maximum flexibility for my pennies" option. I had to buy the pink set (in aid of breast cancer research) as it felt like tempting fate NOT to support this cause.
So I am now itching to cast on for Notorious - and forget those month-by-month plans for knitting projects up to Christmas! Naughty!

BUT I have finished the cashmere (HipKnits buttermilk cashmere sock yarn) June Bride fingerless mitts. The lacey pattern really stands out in a plain yarn (well, duh!) so I did a second lace repeat this time. I also adjusted the sizing and knitted a small hand with a medium thumb - a much better fit for me than small all over. Not sure whether these are for a present, the charity craft stall, or to keep for myself. Cream is not really my colour, but they are SO soft and cosy! Two evenings of knitting for a pair of pretty mitts - brilliant!
The only thing is... I snapped the points off TWO of my brand new Daisy dpns - aargh! They broke at the point where the dark purple joins the light, a clean break. And I am NOT a ham-fisted knitter, honestly! Mutter mutter mutter. Off to email the Woolly Workshop to see if they can replace them...

2 comments:

Hanne said...

I like cream mittens even more than the first ones.

I'm planning to make mine from Knitting Goddess cashmere as soon as the book arrives.

Bryony Ramsden said...

Oooooo tasty. Tasty yarn, tasty woolgirl stuff, tasty mittens.

NOT tasty about the needles though :( Pooey

But let's think of lovely things - Marina Piccola would look ACE in that yarn. Hoorah for patterns with any gauge too!