Monday, January 14, 2008

Resolutions

I hesitate to say that I have some New Years Resolutions. If I write them down I will feel guilty when I let them slide! However, this weekend I stuck to my plan to cook a new vegetarian meal once a week. Our weekly menu had become quite repetitive and meat-based and I wasn’t getting through the organic veg box. So yesterday I made white “milk” bread rolls (recipe from “Apples for Jam”) substituting non-dairy products for the milk and butter. They were a huge success! And I was amazed at how relaxing it was. FL was chuckling as I kneaded the dough – “I never thought I’d see the day when you - my wife?!? – would be here in this kitchen making bread!” And for dinner – a West Country Hot Pot – a one-pot meal of giant butter beans, leeks, cauliflower, courgette, onions, garlic and a mustardy cider sauce – mmm! Followed by vegan “Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes”. Ah, the New Domesticity!



I also knitted long and hard on my Clessidra knee-highs. Too long. Because I am going to run out of yarn – noooooooo! I have 48 rounds left to knit… and just a few grams of yarn. Hand-dyed, one-of-a kind yarn from Germany. I have emailed the Wollmeise to see if she can sell me a small ball to match – even if she can supply it, I will have to use the two balls row-about to minimise the effect of the join and there will be a stripe. After all those hours of neat, perfect knitting! I might have to rip back the first sock and make both with contrasting toes. It never once occurred to me that I might run out of yarn in this project – I had 150g of thin yarn! Sniffle.







And to prove that people wear the things I knit… here is FL in his Golf Stockings and Koolhaas hat. No fear of him being shot in the woods with a hat that colour! He managed two 18-hole rounds of golf this weekend without ill effects. He has phased out all his painkillers. Now all we need to hear is that he can stop the chemo. Tomorrow.

6 comments:

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Hope FL gets good news about the chemo.
India

cindy said...

The socks are wonderful.The hat looks hand knitted as well.He wears both well.
My thoughts are with both of you.

motopacsman said...

Love the Koolhaas!

It's terrific that FL is doing so well. Golf seems to be a passion of his and certainly two rounds must have made him proud (and tired).

As far as your new domesticity... It's about supper time here right now and the rolls are making my mouth water!

motopacsman said...

How about posting the recipe for the "West Country Hot Pot – a one-pot meal of giant butter beans, leeks, cauliflower, courgette, onions, garlic and a mustardy cider sauce.

Sounds delish and my vegetarian friends will adore it.

motopacsman said...

In all honsty, it sounds as if you and FL continue live actife, vibrant lives.

I truly celebrate what you have. One doesn't realize how lucky one is.

Penny said...

Yes, the hotpot does sound tasty.

I hope it was good news about the chemo.