Monday, February 11, 2008

Manon is finished!

I stayed up late on Saturday night to finish Manon.


My daughter was instructed to shoot a full set of profile photos - she asked me what crime the jacket had committed! Actually...none!


As you may have gathered, the garment is knitted from the central back triangle outwards, so there is a lot of picking-up-stitches. This was the part I found hardest and most time-consuming - estimating how big a gap to leave between each stitch. There was a lot of ripping-back when I found myself halfway across a section but with a full complement of stitches already on the needle. It also makes this quite a heavy garment to knit - using circular needles would have helped.


I made some modifications. I deliberately ignored the errata and kept the panels of stocking stitch between each triangle - I think it is a much sharper look than having them just blending into each other. However, I am willing to believe this is why there is a slight bulge at the join between the peplum and the side waist - you can see this in the "face on" picture. I also misread the instructions for shaping the back and ended up with slightly too many stitches at the back of the neck, and therefore had to make the neckband extensions longer to fit. This gives it a higher back neck, but I like this: it is warmer and also quite funky (in a good way!)


Stats: Manon from Norah Gaughan Volume 1 (Berrocco) knitted in the second size (34"). I used aran-weight plant-dyed wool in Violet from Knitting4Fun and size 4.5mm needles. It is VERY warm: more of a jacket than a cardigan.

4 comments:

ambermoggie said...

absolutely gorgeous:)

Anonymous said...

Hey~
Stunning...as is all your work!

RooKnits said...

I love it

Knittings Nice! said...

That is a truly lovely knit...I think better as a jacket and am sure you will get loads of wear out of it....great colour too.