Monday, April 07, 2008

Callakille dreaming

We’re back!

We had a wonderful break and I have so much to write about I can’t decide where to begin.

The English teacher in me says I should first set the scene, so here goes:











We arrived on Saturday night after driving over the “Pass of the cattle” in total darkness with sleet bashing the windscreen. This is a perilous single-track road of steep climbs and sharp bends with sheer drops down rocky cliffs. Luckily it was too dark for me to see this! At one point, FL stalled trying to negotiate a bend and our handbrake is not very reliable... gulp!




Arriving in Applecross village, we went into the pub for a meal and a stiff drink. The Applecross Inn has won several “gastro-pub” awards but isn’t at all pretentious. It was packed with hungry hillwalkers and families playing Scrabble and Jenga by a roaring log fire. Lovely food too!

Then on to our cottage. If we could find it. We drove down a muddy farm track with bog on either side until we came to a gate. There was no mention of a gate in our arrival instructions so we tried to reverse… but it was too muddy and we were just getting bogged down. I changed into my wellies and we decided to try driving through the gate to see if there somewhere to turn… and discovered that the track led to our cottage! However, the instructions to locate the key were equally vague, and we fumbled around in the dark with our torch, finally discovering the key and promptly dropping it into a deep puddle!

Luckily, the house was the sanctuary described in the brochure. Excuse the “Country Living” style pictures, but it had to be done!

More tomorrow!

2 comments:

gabrielle said...

Welcome back and wow, what a gorgeous (and peaceful) looking place! I hope that you had a fabulous, restful time together with FL.

Very envious, as I ran away to a cottage with the fella between Christmas and New Year and it was wonderful to escape to somewhere where we were both truly on holiday, away from everything and able to relax, explore etc.

I look forwards to reading more about your week away - did you manage to get out your sewing machine at all? (As I did not manage to knit a stitch, while I was away with the fella - I took loads to do with me, thinking that I would have lots of time for such gentle pursuits...nope, not a bit of it, we were out, here there and everywhere visiting places, walking, cooking together etc.)
Gx

RooKnits said...

Welcome back! I missed you. I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing time. You'll have to send me a link to the cottage as it looks divine.