At last! The middle of April and I have finished my winter coat! So it must be spring, right?
It’s not perfectly tailored but it is deliciously cosy and I love the lining, which adds a vintagey-vibe. The outside is a springy felted wool from “Favourite Fabrics” at Ebay, my usual source for good-quality material. The only problem is that it is actually a knitted fabric, so it has a tendency to “relax”. Because of this, I have a slightly wonky front facing, which I accidentally stretched as I pressed it ready for the top-stitching. The lining is a Chinese-type brocade that I bought as a remnant from a goth clothing designer at Ebay. I have a thing about red lining! The buttons were recycled from a coat I made in the Eighties – perfect with my red DM’s!
The pattern is from a Japanese book “Sweet Black” aka “My Favourite Black”, style Z. It is a simple raglan, slightly a-line style with a dart at the top of each sleeve. Because of the stretchiness of the fabric I decided not to add pockets, as they would inevitably end up down round my feet when I filled them with all the rubbish I seem to accumulate. I might have to start carrying - gasp – a handbag!
I had a moment of brain fog when I tried to work out how to attach the lining with the machine. I remembered it involved turning everything inside out through the sleeves, but ended up in a bit of a muddle and had to walk the dog for a while until I sorted it out in my head. I am still not sure what I did, but it worked! But best of all – my new sewing machine produced perfect buttonholes every time, no stress involved – hooray!
Now I need a library of red hats...