Monday, April 14, 2008

My new coat

At last! The middle of April and I have finished my winter coat! So it must be spring, right?

It’s not perfectly tailored but it is deliciously cosy and I love the lining, which adds a vintagey-vibe. The outside is a springy felted wool from “Favourite Fabrics” at Ebay, my usual source for good-quality material. The only problem is that it is actually a knitted fabric, so it has a tendency to “relax”. Because of this, I have a slightly wonky front facing, which I accidentally stretched as I pressed it ready for the top-stitching. The lining is a Chinese-type brocade that I bought as a remnant from a goth clothing designer at Ebay. I have a thing about red lining! The buttons were recycled from a coat I made in the Eighties – perfect with my red DM’s!

The pattern is from a Japanese book “Sweet Black” aka “My Favourite Black”, style Z. It is a simple raglan, slightly a-line style with a dart at the top of each sleeve. Because of the stretchiness of the fabric I decided not to add pockets, as they would inevitably end up down round my feet when I filled them with all the rubbish I seem to accumulate. I might have to start carrying - gasp – a handbag!

I had a moment of brain fog when I tried to work out how to attach the lining with the machine. I remembered it involved turning everything inside out through the sleeves, but ended up in a bit of a muddle and had to walk the dog for a while until I sorted it out in my head. I am still not sure what I did, but it worked! But best of all – my new sewing machine produced perfect buttonholes every time, no stress involved – hooray!

Now I need a library of red hats...

5 comments:

RooKnits said...

looks amazing! I am in awe.

gabrielle said...

Well I think that it looks bl**dy marvelous. I'm with rooknits, I am in awe!

Absolutely love the red lining under the collar - I take it that you are enclosed in all that red loveliness inside your coat as well?

And who needs pockets when it gives you the perfect excuse to accessorise with something to pop your knitting, keys, mobile, purse, tissues, ID cards, makeup, pens, paper, umbrella, IPOD, hat, work mobile, stamps, gloves, headache pills, tampons, driving licence, hair scrunchies etc. in while out and about...

...opps. Am I not supposed to carry all that then?!

Segwyne said...

That is simply lovely. It looks like it will keep you nice and warm next winter.

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Not that I'm jealouse or anything, but my skin is a rather funny shade pf green ;0)
India

Bryony Ramsden said...

That is just gorgeous. You are far too talented for your own good and need to hand the good karma round ;) Beautiful and it suits you perfectly.