Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Take your inner child to work day

Today is "take your inner child to work" day. Did nobody tell you? Maybe its just a local thing... very local.

So today I am wearing my new Clothkits skirt, tailored to fit, with red shoes and a black velvet jacket for that.. err.. corporate edge. Don't worry - I ditched the stripey socks and oversized sweater!

The second picture shows the lovely lining and inside details. I was also provided with a length of polka-dot ribbon, but I decided to save that for the Cloth Kitty doll.

Would I recommend the kit? Yes I would. Not for an absolute beginner, and ignore the hilarious suggestion that you could make it in an evening. Allow yourself a relaxed weekend and check the fit before you attach the waistband. If you need to reduce the waist width, taper the entire skirt - otherwise you will look like you are wearing jodhpurs underneath.


Whatever you do, don't follow the instructions for inserting the zip "open". It is much easier to make a good job of it if you baste the zip in place, close to its teeth and also baste the material closed over the zip as if it was a continuation of the back seam. Then machine-stitch the zip in place "down, across and up" from the outside, as near to the basting line as you can. This way you won't risk bumping into the zip-pull as you stitch. And the cord material won't "travel", leaving you with a lop-sided top edge.

Or ignore my advice and make friends with your quick-unpick! (My new best friend - we shared a long glass of wine together on Sunday.)

6 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

Now if only you had kept the stripey socks that would have been perfect!
India

Segwyne said...

I like the stripey socks with it. Yes, the method you advise for the zipper is the one I was taught and always use. I can't imagine why they suggested stitching it in while open.

Bryony Ramsden said...

That is so cool! Very very funky, but also plausible for work wear. Oooooooh, it's good. Regardless of the issues, it's very very good. :)

RooKnits said...

I am very very very jealous of your new skirt :o)

Pat said...

Love the skirt, very funky - just the sort of thing I could wear to work. It looks great with the stripy socks! Time to get the old sewing machine out methinks.

wazz said...

I see it! looks fab! especially with those socks