Friday, April 18, 2008

What next?

Firstly, a big thank you for all the coat love! Home-dressmaking can be rather nerve-wracking: you spend all that time and effort on making something and then you can't always tell if it "works" or just looks home-made. The big test of this coat has been wearing it to work. I know that my old scruffy parka was the cause of much quiet consternation in the corridor of power. The muddy paw prints didn't help. So it was quite a relief yesterday to have a Boss remark to me about the "lovely flashes of colour" from my new coat lining. I had suddenly become visible in the right way. It shouldn't matter to me, but it does.



So now I am feeling excited about creating my "spring / summer collection"! I worked through autumn and winter in my set of home-made tweedy skirts, but the time is fast approaching for something a little cooler. I am thinking super-wide trousers and swishy skirts. If I had more cash to spare they would be from Toast and Boden. Instead they will be from Roobeedoo!



I don't know how I came across this, but I found a German site (in perfect English) with the most fabulous collection of funky fabrics - I am in serious danger of "stocking up"! I warn you now - if you are a sew-er you will not navigate away from Volksfaden without spending some Euros! The site design is inspirational in itself - I love the collage style!


I am also drooling over "Wrap Style". I know, I know. This is hopelessly "behind the times" of me and everyone else got over it at least a year ago, but I only just got this book from the library. I am thinking of a Shetland Lace Triangle in Wollmeise Poison Nr. 5 from the stash - mmmm! Not to mention a chunky shoulder wrap in cashmerino superchunky - but that would involve buying more yarn - tsk!

Because I just bought some yarn from handpaintedyarn in Uruguay. This felt like an enormous leap of faith. It was too cheap to be true. It was too far away to get here within my lifetime. But how wrong can you be? It arrived in less than a week after my order, and the colours and quality are just... delicious! The green dk is destined to be either Astrid or Anais from "Norah Gaughan Vol. 1". The Manos-like handspun will be a hexagonal scarf from "Knitting Nature". Too many projects, too little time!

4 comments:

RooKnits said...

Oh no. I looked at the fabric site. Ooops.

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Yep, me too - you are a fabric-stash enabler ;0)
INdia

ambermoggie said...

I love the yarns from there and have always had speedy delivery. The yarns knit fabulously:)

Pat said...

Stop it! Stop it! You little temptress with your sneaky little links. As if I don't already have more fabric / yarn that I know what to do with.........