Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My holiday home


I drove home on Friday evening, set the dinner to cook, and sat down with my crochet hook. I was so inspired to start my Queen Anne scarf, that the presence of 5 teenaged boys camping at the treehouse (bonfire, marshmallows, accordian, guitar and all!) barely phased me. (FL might dispute this, because there was a bit of manic racing backwards and forwards to give instructions about fire safety, how to do the toilet in the countryside and respecting long-eared lolloping neighbours!)


I love this pattern! I was completely hyper on Friday evening when I realised I could follow the written instructions, and therefore could combine this with the chart to teach myself to "read" crochet! A whole new world of Japanese crochet patterns opens up before me!
In one evening I crocheted a couple of feet of scarf. Exhilirating! It is Malabrigo Worsted, colour Geranio. I am using a 3.5mm hook, which gives slightly too tight a gauge, but the only other hook I own is miles too big. (I feel a purchase coming on!)

Most of Saturday and Sunday were spent gutting out the kitchen. Gone are the warped 1970's chipboard cupboards, the 30-year-old dustballs, out of date food and disgusting brown plates which lurked beyond my reach. In their place: a gleaming eco-painted wall, and a second-hand pine welsh dresser.
As my daughter put it "It looks like a holiday home now!" I even cleared the back door of all the "stuff" which hung on it and I discovered that the little window opens! So I sat down with my crochet, the evening breeze on my face, watching the sun set over the mountains and the leaves fluttering on the trees.

4 comments:

RooKnits said...

Oooooh I bet the malabrigo feels soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy.I love that pattern too. I found once crochet "clicked" it was so much easier to read than my knitting, maybe that is because you only have one loop at a time. I can definitely recommend Clover soft touch crochet hooks. The best I've found so far...
Can we see pictures of the new kitchen?

Twelfthknit said...

As soon as I had the pattern downloaded I started my scarf and fnished it the same day! LIke you, I too was using it to help me figure out crochet patterns.
All I need now it so find my stash of crochet hooks and I'll be whipping up a few more of these beauties >
India

Anonymous said...

You have persuaded me - am off to purchase the pattern, sort out some yarn and a hook and off I go. I have dithered about it too long!
The kitchen sounds fab - any chance of some photo's?
Carol

Bryony Ramsden said...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooo preeetttyyyyyy... You weren't kidding about the new addiction either were you :D
How on earth did you manage with a 70s kitchen? We once looked at a house for sale that had pink floral wallpaper and tiles and a black suite. That completely turned us off buying it :D