Sunday, June 01, 2008

UK swap questionnaire

I am joining the UK swap - woo hoo! Why don't you?

Part One: Crafting

Do you knit, crochet, or both? Knitting is my thing – I know how to crochet but haven’t got beyond felted flowers and a rasta hat.

What do you like to make? Socks, socks, socks… and the odd hat.

Do you have a favourite project? I was very pleased with my Manon because it was a full-sized garment and involved learning new techniques. My Clessidra socks turned out well too. But I haven't actually worn either of them - oops! Gretel (hat) and Jaywalkers (socks) are the most-worn.

Do you have a favourite type of fiber or brand of yarn? Natural fibres – organic merino is the best!

Do you have a least favourite type of yarn? Anything scratchy or acrylic

Do you do any other crafts? I love sewing – especially using Japanese patterns

Do you knit in public? If so where do you like knitting and what is your "portable" project? I knit in hospital waiting rooms – usually socks.

What do you carry your "portable" knitting in? A little bag made by a very kind blogger friend.

Are there any knitting gifts (book, toy, yarn, item, tool) that you have been lusting over? Point protectors or one of those things that holds sock needles and part-knit sock safely in a bag. Soak! A shawl pin. As far as yarn goes, sock yarn would be my ideal - I'd love to try Apple Laine or Noro sock or Fiesta Ballet.
Part Two: Your Favourites

What is your favourite colour? That would be purple. Deep, dark, regal Cadbury's-type purple.
What is your least favourite colour? Anything pale and wishy-washy – beige / pastel
What scents/smells do you like? What don’t you like? I love lavender and citrus smells. I don’t like “perfume” or rose-based scents.

How do you like to pamper yourself? (bubble bath, hand creams, massage, manicure) I don't really bother. That's why my hair is so long, my nails so short, and my socks so thick
What goodies do you like to eat? (chocolate, biscuits, sweets,crisps etc) Dark chocolate. I don’t really like sweets or crisps.


Do you prefer tea or coffee while you knit? Any particular kind? Lady Grey tea or a lovely latte
Do you listen to/watch anything while you knit? (TVshow-Along, movies, music, podcasts, audiobooks) Richard Curtis films, Projects Runway or Catwalk, Radio Classic Novel serials on a Sunday afternoon – but only if the kids are out, otherwise I can’t concentrate! I have never tried an audiobook, but I can see this might be the answer to interrupting kids - the pause button!
Part Three: About you, Living & Pastimes
If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be (and why)? Something handspun with tweedy bits and the occasional sparkle – because I don’t really subscribe to mass-produced fashion / brand name culture and I tend to like classics with a twist!
Where do you live in the UK? (General idea not address) North East Scotland
Have you always lived here, or did you grow up somewhere else? Born here, then moved away for University to Yorkshire (4 years) and for work to London (almost 20 years!)
What is your favourite place in the UK? West coast of Scotland
If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? Iceland!
What other hobbies do you have? Herb-gardening, reading
Part Four: The Theme
As part of this swap we are asking you to post (or link to) a picture or photograph you like. Your swap pal will use the photo as a basis for a themed item or parcel.
OK this is an odd one. I have just discovered that I like Jane Austen, after finding her incomprehensible for years. "Miss Austen Regrets" was a revelation. This is a still from the film which probably sums it up.
See the intelligent wit in that woman's smile? I know she is an actress, and not Jane Austen herself, but you asked for a picture not words! This facial expression really appeals to me - she is witty, intelligent, and it is likely that the other two women in the picture are laughing about something else entirely.
I also absolutely LOVE the gauzy fit-and-flare overlong sleeves of this dress. It's the same aesthetic as over-the elbow gloves or detached sleeves and a cap-sleeved t-shirt. (Jane Austen was a punk rocker?!) I have no idea what my swap pal will make of this, but this is the image which is inspiring me right now!
Final Part:Any allergies/preferences (fiber-wise or treat-wise)?
No allergies.
Anything we missed that you’d like your partner to know? I can’t think of anything!
That was really quite hard work - especially choosing the image!

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

That's a fabulous picture with such a knowing face, rather like the one my friend Kerry pulls. It has been so much fun looking at the pictures people have chosen.

zombiecazz said...

ooh have fun with this. I'm almost tempted, but too busy swapping on craftster atm.