Saturday, July 12, 2008

His and Sir's Scarves


After my failure to knit Shedir (twice), I ditched the hat plan altogether and decided to make scarves.

In the stash (a recent acquisition) I had 2 x three-ball sets of Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran (doesn’t that name just roll off the tongue?!), one in Clipper (denim blue) and one in Vintage Red. These had been bought with a view to knitting more Gretel hats, but it is clear that the yarn is far too soft and drapey. So scarves it is.

I collected “Knitting Little Luxuries” from the library last Saturday and was besotted with the herringbone stitch bag on the front cover, so decided to use the pattern for a scarf. One ball of yarn produced about 14 inches of scarf. It looks very densely-woven, but actually uses 5mm needles, so it is fairly quick to knit. The fabric is thick and soft and warm – everything a scarf should be! The only “issue” is the splittiness of the yarn, which separates out into a fan of threads at the slightest provocation.

I since discovered that the stitch pattern is almost identical to the one used for Henry (Knitty pattern), except that the herringbone weave runs in the opposite direction (warp instead of weft?). So I have a clear plan to knit one of each for “his and sir’s” scarves. I need to get moving though – this is an overdue present! The blue one should be complete tonight.

No comments: