Monday, August 11, 2008
Thanks to the advice of my friendly blog-readers, my blouse is a success!
Careful basting, using small stitches, held the sleeve cap gathers in place for pain-free machine-stitching. Listen to your sewing teachers, girls!
I decided to use elastic in the lower bobbin for two rows of shirring at the upper arm, rather than making a casing for wider elastic to thread through. This was due to unfortunate memories of a certain pink satin party dress which bit into my chubby childhood upper arms (aged 8), leaving nasty red weals - not a good look! This alternative is altogether more delicate and is certainly a lot more comfortable!
The buttonholes went smoothly - as I took extra care to read the instructions for my sewing machine and realised that there was no need to turn the fabric at all -the machine does all the work! That's what went wrong with the duvet cover buttonholes - duh!
My only remaining caveat to to other sewers of this pattern: make sure you check your size carefully. It is a very close-fitting blouse. Much neater than anything else I have ever sewn or worn. If I were to make it again, I think I would go a size up, to allow for dessert. It is also quite short. Fabulous with 1940's-style high-waisted wide-legged trousers, but absolutely NOT suitable for low-slung jeans, unless you are a braver lass than me!
In summary: go for it!