Sunday, November 23, 2008

Portrait of a dress

from Toast by Post




A rather expensive grey wool dress with the most intriguing collar. But far too short for my knees!



I just happen to have 3 metres of black fabric with a border of figured velvet applique, bought from a factory that was closing down. Perfect for a swooping sweeping dress with a cowl-like standaway collar...




And so began the mission to locate the perfect pattern.


It soon became clear that they don't make 'em like this anymore. So I have been scouring Etsy and Ebay for something that appears to be termed a "space age" or "mod" or "60's" dress.




But this one was too... understated.








And this one was too... stripey... though clearly that can be fixed!



This one...on the far left... this one is a definite possibility!

I like the collar and the wider swishy skirt. I would give it 3/4 length sleeves.

But would I look too much like Julie Andrews? (Oh no, sorry, wrong hair!)



And this one? This one could be interesting too! It has a very cute "bias cowl" and I can imagine wearing it over a long-sleeved t-shirt. But it is 3 sizes too big and pretty shapeless. I might just look like I am wearing a black bin-liner. Though with some funky platform-soled boots....

I'm still thinking!























3 comments:

RooKnits said...

I'll have a dig around at my evening class, there are loads of "vintage" patterns... I'll take some pics of any I think may be suitable.
I like the stripey one (without the stripes for once!)

wazz said...

I love the toast dress -- and that last butterick pattern with the cowl is super. You must make!

PS I have just rescued an email message from you from the spam! More soon.

tea and cake said...

'the one on the far left .... with 3/4 length sleeves' looks great! And, you could always add a belt, though of course not to 'the one on the...'
can't wait to see what you come up with!