Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Black Sticky Gingerbread

Black Sticky Gingerbread

I cannot pretend that this is a “healthy” recipe, but it makes a sick person feel better…


Enough for two 1lb loaves – one for you and one for your neighbour!

225g / 8oz butter (or Pure margarine)
225g / 8oz soft muscovado sugar (Dark for a really strong flavour, but I like the butterscotchiness of Light)
225g / 8oz black treacle
340g / 12oz plain white flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
290ml / ½ pint milk (or soya substitute)
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
4 handfuls of raisins (optional – I opt!)


Preheat oven to 150C / 300F / Gas mark 2

Line two 1lb loaf tins with greaseproof paper.

Melt butter, sugar, treacle in a small pan or for 30 seconds in the microwave. Leave to cool.

Sift together flour and spices – stir in melted mix and beaten eggs.

Warm milk gently (30 seconds in the microwave), pour onto soda, and mix into main bowlful of ingredients.

Stir in raisins, if used.

Pour into prepared tins.

Bake in oven for 1 hour. Check after 45minutes – if beginning to catch on top, cover with greaseproof paper for last 15 minutes.

Allow to cool. Can be served warm with ice cream (!) or cold lightly buttered, with a hot drink.

5 comments:

RooKnits said...

Yum yum yum. You are making me VERY hungry. Unfortunately all I have on my desk is a clementine!

zombiecazz said...

Have copied down recipe, made sure I have all the ingredients and will be poppoing some in the oven tomorrow. :o)
BTW there is also a NEEPS Christmas meet at Wildgarlics on Sunday.

zombiecazz said...

Didn't get round to making them the other day, but did this evening. One loaf, one small round cake and 5 muffins.....OMG They are too die for yum yum yum, I oput extra ginger in ( but that's just me.

CarpeDyem said...

Heading or my kitchen right now! There is something magical about treacle,ginger and cinnamon this time of year! (or any time of year, for that matter!)

CarpeDyem said...

I've got just a pound loaf cooking in the oven as I type! i didn't realise that I din't have any cinnamon until I looked on the spice rack - d'oh! Have substituted mixed spice - watch this space!