Monday, December 08, 2008

The funnel-neck dress

Towards the end of last week I succumbed to an evil cold. Thursday was spent semiconscious on the sofa “working from home” – and strange to report - I really did achieve a whole day’s work despite feeling like poo! I made sticky black treacle gingerbread – my winter cure-all! On Friday I went in to the office and coughed all over a Committee, which wanted to send me home – oops! So I wasn’t hopeful of much crafting this weekend at all. I knitted an inch of the second Highland Dancing sock… and ripped it out again because I got the pattern wrong.

However, on Sunday I made a good start on my Christmas party dress. Remember my inspiration? The funnel-neck number from Toast? Well, I bought one of the 1960’s patterns I showed you from the States via Etsy. From yet another Ruth, as it happens!

It is an old-style size 16 pattern, so I had to do some alterations. I reduced the yoke and front dress pieces by about two inches before I cut the fabric, and then took in the side seams by another two. But I didn’t think to shrink the neck-piece, so it is a bit wider than I would have preferred. To compensate, I am going to have to cut into the armholes radically at the shoulders. At the moment it has dropped shoulders and I look like I am being swallowed up by a giant vacuum cleaner tube. Did you ever see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? The bit where the Vulgarian spies are disguised as funnels with just their feet peeking out…?

So far, my daughter hates it and FL loves it. It is definitely “vintage”-looking and has pretensions towards being something Audrey Hepburn might have worn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Certainly, by the time I have finished it will be “an original”!

2 comments:

zombiecazz said...

can't wait to see it. Sounds fab

Bryony Ramsden said...

I think you'll look fab in it :) And it looks VERY Audrey on the pattern so you'd be able to pull it off very well :D