Thursday, January 22, 2009

Aunty's Strudel

I finished my Aunt’s hat on Tuesday evening. The knitting was done and dusted on Monday, but I had a real struggle undoing the provisional cast-on and ended up with 8 stitches missing but no sign of a ladder! This was disappointing because I thought I had “cracked” the provisional cast-on. After three hours of cursing, I managed to cobble something together with a darning needle, something approximating a Kitchener which grafted the edges together – but it isn’t perfect. Sigh. Ain’t that just the way when you are making something for another knitter?

Stats: Strudel by Woolly Wormhead from the book “Going Straight”. Size large, but I knitted only 9 slices instead of 10 on 3.75mm straight needles (Pony Pearls). The yarn is delicious! 100g of Coldharbour Mill organically-produced, water-mill spun pure wool dk. It is softer than Malabrigo. Honest! I got mine here.

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

Nice hat. I reckon grafting is something you have to practice again and again and again and again before you get it right. I am not clicking on the link to the yarn because I know I will want some.

tea and cake said...

This is a lovely hat, and it suits you - somewhere to put your hair!

I know what you mean, rooknits, I would want some, too. But, maybe I'll just have a wee looky ....!