Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Let's do the time warp (again)

Have you ever noticed how some individuals appear to be stuck in a fashion time warp? I am not condemning this practice, before you tell me off! For some, it is simply that they stopped buying clothes 20 years ago and wear what they have. Others somehow manage to source replicas of a bygone style they either loved or can’t see beyond. In this category I would cite a wardrobe mistress I knew, who wore maxi skirts and high-necked blouses well into the 1980’s. It was a real shock when she gave them up!

But I have noticed another phenomenon. Some people just appear to belong to a different era. There is a chap at work who is a Regency gentlemen. His hair always looks like he stepped out of a period drama, his trousers are virtually breeches, though he thinks they are chinos. His ties are practically cravats. And I don’t believe it is deliberate! Another female colleague has the bearing of an Edwardian lady. She always has short hair and tailored trouser suits, and yet gives the impression of wearing floor-length gowns, bustles and corsets! Another girl is emphatically from the 1930’s: longish floppy skirts, unstructured bohemian jackets, Isadora scarves. Myself? I think I have something 1970’s going on. The long hippy hair, lots of textile textures, embroidery, appliqué, buttons and beads. Wide hemmed trousers over chunky shoes.

What about you? Do you belong to another era?

9 comments:

tea and cake said...

I simply love the Edwardian era of clothes. However, unless I were to design patterns myself, I would never get anything to fit my size.
I do wistfully remember the 70's but hated the 80's and still do - it's awful that they are coming back into fashion, yuk!

Susan said...

30's for me...soft and comfie elegance. Not likely to ever achieve it though - it's more like jeans, wellies and waterproofs here in the Azores...not soft, or comfie and definately not elegant! Sue.

Twelfthknit said...

So, how would he look if he dived into a pond and came up all wet and manly looking?

castors said...

Thanks for sharing this great information to us. I think this kind of business, could help to make more money.

refrigerated vans said...

Thanks for the great post. Its a valuable one for all of us.

golf clubs for sale said...

nice idea. do you have any thoughts on how to develop digital products and what people would be willing to buy?

gloucester driving school said...

Ultimately the concern is piracy for anything digital. I have used the landing page templates on a clients site. They are solid.

driving school franchise said...

Thanks for the great tips. Just hope I can make some money, too!

driving school Hereford said...

This is the best way to sell of your digital products. As these products are in great demand these days therefore the bid value for these products will also be very high.