Monday, February 02, 2009

Roobee Grapefruit Marmalade


Six ruby grapefruit for £1, you say?
Add a lemon , two bags of preserving sugar, and play with the various attachments on the food processor to squeeze, strain and chop the fruit. Make as much washing-up as possible!
Pour in three pints of water and bring to the boil, simmering for at least twice as long as every recipe suggests, to reach the setting point.
Decant into warmed sterilised jars. Do this before your husband comes home and offers to remove them from the oven... by lifting the shelf out in one sweep, sending them rolling across the floor in all directions.
Remain calm and suggest he might like to read the newspaper.
Add four tablespoons of Drambuie. This is essential! Ignore all requests to "just pour it in". You might want a swig from the bottle yourself at this stage.
Refuse all offers of help to ladle marmalade into jars, unless you want to spend the next six weeks smelling burning sugar every time you turn on the hob. You do? Splendid!

Awake next morning to a relaxed sunny breakfast of homemade bread and marmalade with freshly brewed coffee. Thank your husband.
Enjoy!

11 comments:

Business Removals said...

wow this looks like so tasty.

RooKnits said...

Hee hee. It was obviously marmalade making weekend - I made some yesterday (but with those tinned seville oranges as I couldn't find anything as cheap as 6 grapefruits for £1.) I don't think Tony even realised I was doing it, as usually he likes to (a) deal with the hot jars from the oven and (b) decant into the jars. I managed perfectly well all by myself! The side is only a *little* bit sticky!! Unfortunately there was no bread for toast this morning. I must buy some on the way home! Yum Yum Yum

Penny said...

That sounds yummy - can I come round for breakfast?

emmms said...

Dude! I am making me some of this!

Some Chilean Woman said...

The jam looks delish, but check out that plate! I'd be happy eating off that any day :)

tea and cake said...

Mmm, made my mouth water!

zombiecazz said...

Bought me some grafefruit today. Will be making marmalade by the weekend

UGG BOOTS said...

Thanks for your valuable information. Its very good, but it would be better if you had given the details of the internet courses which would be of great help.

Small Luxury Hotels said...

It seems to have a lot of valuable information. Keep up the good work.

Melaleuca Frank VanderSloot said...

I must buy some on the way home

Christmas Fancy Dress said...

I managed perfectly well all by myself!