Monday, February 16, 2009

Wide girl trousers

With the kids away, I was determined to grab some sewing time.

The pair you see here are not in the material intended! I wanted to use black cavalry twill, but when I laid the pattern pieces out, it was clear that one metre was not enough. Talk about wide legs! This pattern (New Look 6190) has super-wide legs! The pieces wrapped round my 60-inch wide fabric - leaving nothing in reserve for the waistband. So I went back to my stash and extracted two metres of grey wool / lycra (97/3) mix, which I had intended for a swishy skirt from the same pattern.

The fabric is lovely - very soft, with just a touch of stretch. It is an almost-black charcoal in real life. The pattern includes plenty of "ease". I made a size 12 and I think it was the right choice: 10 would have fitted but these are not meant to "fit"!

The only tricky bit was avoiding catching the belt loops into the edge-stitching at the waistband. The side-seam zip was painless. I think I may have got over my fear of making trousers! Obviously I should have pressed the hem before I got FL to take a photo - oops!

My fear of home-made trousers is justifiable. When I was 11, my mother made me a pair of electric blue polyester knit trousers (it was the 70's - cut me some fashion slack, girls!). Unfortunately, she used the wrong needle for a knit fabric, and the stitching didn't "catch". But we didn't realise this until I wore them to school next day, sat down.... and ripped my trousers right round the crotch, exposing my navy M&S knickers to the whole class. OMG - the shame!

I double-stitched the seam of these, just in case!

P.S. If you want a pincushion like mine, keep an eye on Kate's blog. She is going to publish a tutorial soon!

8 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Adorable pants!

Twelfthknit said...

Sadly for me, at the moment I need 'Wide Girl' trousers ;0)

blue hands said...

Great trousers - very Old Town!

Kate said...

fab pants - great fit - they look very professional indeed! I confess that I am mortally afraid of sewing trousers and have never done it - its as if in my own legs and backside I encounter the limits of three-dimensional thinking. . .

RooKnits said...

Oooh lovely! They go well with your Loppem!

tea and cake said...

Very nice! And, fabby fabric, too!

Penny said...

Very nice trousers. And very wide legs too.

Bryony Ramsden said...

HA! You see?! You are sewing queen :D Gorgeous trooosers :D