Sunday, March 15, 2009

Birdie bag on the way


I have been marinating a bag-making project for far too long.

I had bought a fat quarter of Echino bird / tree fabric last year, with a bag in mind. But this pattern takes 3/4 yard of the main fabric and the same of lining. So I decided to use a Sublime Stitching hummingbird embroidery pattern on some plain cotton for one side of the bag, and the Echino for the other. Of course, I got carried away with the whole embroidery idea and added an appliqué flower using leftover lining fabric (Amy Butler Coriander print.). The strap is supposed to be a continuation of the main fabric, but I didn’t have enough, so used upholstery-strength hessian webbing instead. I ran this all the way round the bag for added stability. I am going to line the strap to prevent it rubbing my clothes at the shoulder - it's pretty rough.

There are lots of high-end details written into the pattern to give a professional finish. This is true of the whole book. My daughter flicked through and remarked that the projects looked like “real” things that you would buy in a shop. In part this is due to the seductive Anna Maria Horner prints used throughout, but it is also a reflection of the quality of the designs. I don’t see myself making a dog-bed (though I really should!) but I love the simple cube containers – I am thinking of making one for casual storage of knits-in-progress, and one to store spare loo rolls in the bathroom– how house-to-home-y is that?! And the pincushion/notion caddy is cute and useful. And of course I am developing an obsession about making an apron or two… and a quilt…gulp! My daughter was horrified by the flouncy little-girl skirt, but admitted she would have been enchanted by it when she was about 3 or 4!

But for now I am just enjoying making my new bag. Big enough for work stuff, knitting and a book – perfect!

I still need to make bias binding for the top edges, sew on the button, and line the strap - pictures soon!

No comments: