Saturday, March 21, 2009

FO: Goldengrove socks




I turned the heel of the second Goldengrove sock in the hospital waiting room on Thursday morning, and cast off on Thursday evening. So really these should have been finished long ago!













Stats: Goldengrove from “Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn”, adapted to use dk weight yarn by casting on 60 stitches on 3.25mm dpns. Silkwood Hedgerow plant-dyed pure wool, from the sale section of Woolly Workshop.

These are practical thick socks to wear under my wellies around the farm. They are deeply rustic in texture (see the ears of barley in the rib?) and the colour is not to everyone’s taste – that’s to say both of my children find it repulsive!










Would I knit this pattern again? Yes, I think I would, but probably in thinner yarn. They are not exactly flattering on the ankles!

Would I use this yarn again? Probably not. I was attracted by its plant-dyed natural credentials and the colour was ideal for my vision of barley-field socks, but in the end it was just plain old-fashioned dk wool in an unusual colour… and anyway, it has been discontinued!

1 comment:

tea and cake said...

It's great that your children don't like the colour - means they won't wear them = result!