Monday, March 23, 2009

FO: Hummingbird Bag


Lots of pictures!






This is the Taxi Tote from "Seams to Me" by Anna Maria Horner. I wrote about this a week ago, confidently predicting a speedy finish - ha!



My hessian strap-strengthening ploy added complications to the whole bias-binding process and it took me about 4 hours to finish this on Saturday, on top of a previous 8 hours'-worth of work.


Of course, it was only when I had finished that I read the instructions and discovered there was a much easier way to apply the bias binding... and that it should have been two inches wide, not one inch. Sigh!



I have total respect for those who make bags for a living. So many considerations: strength, dimensions, pockets, fastenings - phew!



Stats:


The Taxi Tote from "Seams to Me"

Fabrics used: Echino bird / tree upholstery-weight cotton (from an Ebay seller); Amy Butler Coriander pink print lining; blue cotton canvas found in the house when I moved in; and bias binding made from cotton chambray remnants from one of last summer's skirts.

Embroidery pattern: Hummingbird from "Sublime Stitching Craft Pad". Applique flower, my own improvisation.

Hessian strap: Webbing intended for upholstery-making, bought from Ebay.















Big enough for A4-sized paper and knitting, plus pockets for phone, pen etc.

Success!




7 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Love the hummingbird, it's so original!

Twelfthknit said...

Great bag - worth the effort.

RooKnits said...

Lovely!
Please can I have one? :o)

ambermoggie said...

Well worth all your hard work it is gorgeous:)

Penny said...

The lining and the flower are lovely and bright - a bag to cheer one up.

tea and cake said...

Awe, this is gorgeous!

Bryony Ramsden said...

Yum! Gorgeous! :D