Sunday, March 29, 2009

FO: Lola apron


As I have already hinted, I was recently smitten by a pinny pattern. I was buying the lining material for my bag online, when a browse around Nerybeth’s site led me to the Lola Apron. It was one of those heart-stopping moments. I had to have it. My excitement gathered as I traced the designer’s old and new blogs and was swept up in exploring both. Which is all most peculiar, as I am not a frilly-furbelows kind of person. I don’t make dainty fairy-cakes I make whole-meal muffins. (i.e. muffins containing sufficient nutrition to substitute for a meal!)

It took me a while to choose the ideal fabric and purchase sufficient bias binding and ricrac to complete the project.

This weekend was devoted to the Lola Apron.




It took all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I re-threaded my sewing machine more times than I care to remember!
This is a great project for getting to know your sewing machine. It is not for people who don't like sewing bias binding. Or ric-rac. I learned so many things I never thought I needed to know about both!
But seriously, it was such a well-designed pinny, I will definitely be buying more of Meg's patterns. The level of finish is so much more professional than anything I have ever made before. You can customise the fit to enhance your shape. It is pretty much an apron-dress. It was fun to make and is fun to wear - I love it!
Stats: the Lola Apron from Sew Liberated, purchased from Nerybeth (the only UK stockist.) Made from 1 1/2 yards of Free Spirit Sundrop fabric in Circle Blossoms, bought on sale at Dungarees and Daisies. 12 metres each of red and green bias binding (make sure it is a firm sort - you need the structure) and 3 metres each of lilac and red ric-rac.

5 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

I'd be flaunting that apron too! Adorable!

RooKnits said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I love it, especially the ric rac on the pockets.
Please can I have one too :o)

blue hands said...

sweet!

Bryony Ramsden said...

That's fantastic! Loooove it! :D

tea and cake said...

This is stunning, and looks like so much work! Oh, you'll enjoy wearing this.