Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New project: Gothlet Poppy Socks


I needed a new sock project.

I turned to the person nearest and said “OK it’s your turn for new socks – what will it be?” So my daughter and I spent some time rummaging through the stash and the pattern books and print-outs.

We both liked the Viper Pilots pattern (have you seen it yet?), but my daughter wasn’t so keen on a solid-colour yarn. There was no way I was going to knit complicated socks like that only to have the cables disappear in a swirl of colour! (Remember the Embossed Leaves of last Spring?) So I asked her to choose the yarn first. As it happens, this only arrived last week.

It is Poppy superwash sock wool from Gothic Yarns. I bought it in a rush of blood to the head when Carrie announced that she was closing her shop, before I had got round to buying anything from it! Stop! Sell me some yarn! So she did. I bought Poppy and Twilight, which is black overdyed with purple – oooh! The good news is, she is hoping to re-open her shop later in the year. Meantime, she is having a sale - so pop over there and snap up some bargains!

Then we had to identify a suitable pattern. I don’t know if this is going to work out well or not, but I suggested the Diagonal Lace Sock from Wendy’s forthcoming book. I am hoping for mostly red with regular narrow black stripes up the blocks of lace. While I was winding the yarn, I could see that the yarn was 2/3 red to 1/3 black in a very regular repeat. Fingers crossed!
Thanks so much for all the comments about my bag! My next sewing project is coming soon!

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

Viper Pilots has just shot to the top of my queue. Love it. Love the gothic knits yarn too.

ambermoggie said...

oh luscious colours:)