Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New project: Pioneer

There was a circular-needle-shaped hole in my life after I finished the Simple Yet Effective Shawl. I am still in need of "things to wear over shirts" and had this green dk in the stash, intended for Anais from Norah Gaughan Vol. 1. But somehow, Anais needs to be black or purple - something dark and mysterious.

This green merino wool (very cheap from handpaintedyarn.com) is soft and Spring-like and goes well with my sale-bargain, still-unworn shirts. Pioneer stopped me in my tracks as I first browsed the new Knitty - so it seemed like a good match.
The set-up row took me a few attempts, probably because I was helping my daughter with her homework at the same time, but now that the stitchmarkers are in place and the cable columns have become familiar, I am speeding down the yoke quite happily. The shimmering subtleties of the hand-dyed colour suit the understated textured rib: enough to be interesting without being too busy.
I haven't stopped to check my gauge. It is supposed to be knit in sportweight, so I am assuming that a slightly thicker yarn will make a slightly larger top... so "small" should be fine. I am not aiming for 2 inches of negative ease, as I know I would feel suffocated and my shirts would ride up into an uncomfortable billowing airbag at the chest.
Actually... I already suspect I won't be wearing this over my shirts. I am coming to the conclusion that I am not a shirty girl. Why don't they stay tucked in? Why do I end up with the collars rubbing my earlobes? Maybe I need to add darts to make them more fitted. Or ribbons to tie them down to my underwear? Is this why there was a stupid craze in the 1980's for shirts with knickers attached? "Bodies"?! Ugh!

1 comment:

RooKnits said...

I was thinking about Pioneer on the bus this morning and wondering if I had any suitable yarn or if I should buy some at Skip North this weekend... I think my Rowan Calmer might work... I love the colour!