Friday, April 03, 2009

Checking out


Just checking in before I check out for a few days.

I might surprise you mid-week with a pre-prepared post (don’t you love “scheduling”?!), but I will be off the web for a week.

FL and I are off to the wilds for a holiday. The kids are off to London, so it is just the two of us.

I managed to find a holiday cottage with running water, a heating system and electricity! FL says there had better be electricity because he was one of the labourers who took “the electric” to the Highlands in the 1950’s and he distinctly remembers being in that village! That’s one of the reasons we are going there – nostalgia. I have never been there, so it is all new to me.

On the way up, FL plans to golf at Tain, so while he does that I will be digging around the graveyards of the Black Isle looking for my maternal ancestors. I am hoping to visit Balnakeil craft village while FL golfs at Durness. (You may be forgiven for thinking this is a golf tour of northern Scotland!) Other than that, I am aiming for a relaxed week of knitting (Project 13), reading, and walking on isolated beaches and hillsides.

On the health front, FL is finding golf increasingly difficult. He says his swing “collapses” without warning mid-stroke, and he misses the ball or sends it flying off in unexpected directions. I have no doubt that this is due to the deterioration of his vertebrae: he is noticeably shorter too. For the past 3 weeks, he has lost every game he has played, which he is finding disheartening. He has talked about giving up the game altogether, which is ominous, because it is absolutely central to his life. I am trying to encourage him to keep going, because it is his main source of exercise and the focus of his social life.

But enough of this - I have my bags to pack!

Bye for now!

Roobeedoo

3 comments:

RooKnits said...

Have a wonderful wonderful wonderful time. Sending lots of good weather and good knitting vibes!

tea and cake said...

I second that!

Kyoko said...

I love taking my knitting on holiday!!! Have a great time!