Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Project: Kai-Mei

In the running for “fastest sock I ever knitted” is Kai-Mei from the new Cookie A book!

The yarn (Goth Socks in “half broken hearted”) arrived on Thursday and by Saturday evening I was turning the heel… despite spending most of the day shopping/ cleaning / weeding! Most of this was knitted while watching “Hamlet”. Sunday was another day of gardening (the Endless Weed Garden, formerly known as my herb garden- grrr!) but I managed to settle down in the evening to the excitement of the diagonal shaping and that lace pattern.

The lace freaked me out at first – you want me to DROP MY YARNOVERS?! - but I soon got the hang of it, and I loved watching those butterfly-shapes appear out of the loops – woo hoo! I have been unusually confident about using a self-striping yarn for a pattern that screams “semi-solid” to any sensible knitter. My reasoning was that Jeannie Fanihi got away with it (as seen on Ravelry) and that this colourway was reminiscent of Wollmeise Poison Nr. 5 which another Ravelry knitter used for this pattern with stunning results. As my daughter pointed out, I too could have used Poison Nr. 5, as this is the very colourway I have squirreled away for a very special occasion. But I wasn’t about to break out the Wollmeise until I was certain I knew what I was doing. Maybe now…!

3 comments:

zombiecazz said...

These look fab. I just adore your socks skills.

RooKnits said...

Oh Kai-Mei, how I love thee. Especially now I know you look fabulous in self-striping yarn too.

tea and cake said...

It works, it shouldn't, but it does!