Wednesday, May 27, 2009

New project: Trilobite socks

As evidence that I do stick to the plan occasionally, here is the first Trilobite sock for my son. The yarn is Fyberspates Echo bfl in colourway “Woodland” and was one of the (washed!) skeins attacked by ravenous mice. There are probably three breaks in the skein and a few more “chewed” sections, but I am hoping the joins are going to fall on the leg rather than the foot, due to doing these “toe up”.

Once again, I am struck by the width of Wendy’s patterns. This time I went for “large”, which has a 9-inch unstretched width, on the recommended 2mm needles. My son has very broad feet.

It is knitting up to make a very cushy sole underfoot and the dye-ing is complementing the stitch pattern rather well on the upper foot. I love the colour! The top picture (taken at the weekend) shows the colour best. It shimmers like sunlight through the trees – gorgeous!

My son knows these are for him so will be made to try them on at all crucial points, to ensure they fit.

3 comments:

RooKnits said...

gorgeous colours... and they do indeed look like trilobites!

Margaret said...

Beautiful socks! Love the color,too.

tea and cake said...

I don't know how old your son is, but I bet trying on socks with the pins still in, tickle him! They are gorgeous.