Saturday, May 09, 2009

Unanimous verdict


So - I had better book that house then?!


Thank you so much for all those votes of confidence to just "go for it"! Now I just have to persuade my son he wants to spend a week away from his mates with Grandma, FL, his sister and I! But the house I have found has such a wow factor that even he should be impressed. No wireless internet connection though....!


Today we watched "Hamlet" for my son's Higher English revision (the exam is next Friday - eek!). FL came in halfway and astonished us with the fact that part of the film was shot in his former wife's cousin's back garden! Ophelia drowned herself by their willow tree. Well, who knew?! And sure enough - the credits thanked the good people of Stonehaven!


I knitted - more on that soon! See that yarn? It has been wound and a quarter of a sock knitted already! It is month two of my Goth Socks club subscription, complete with a poem by Byron which got me between the eyes. The yarn colour is "half broken hearted" and is gorgeous.


And I devoured "The Summer Book" by Tove Jansson. Have you read it? If not, buy it now! I think I read about it on the Cornflower blog last year. Poor FL has had to put up with hoots of laughter and copious reading-out-loud. I stayed up til midnight last night reading it. I got up early this morning to finish it. I had what A.S. Byatt terms a "narrative craving"! The characters of the grandmother and the child are just so vividly portrayed. The stories are so memorable, the place so real.
So all in all, a literary feast this weekend!

2 comments:

blue hands said...

The Summer Book is lovely! The Winter Book is great too, but in a more "grown up" subtle and elusive way.

Bryony Ramsden said...

Sorry I missed your pondering, but I'm glad you decided to book to go :) Go off and enjoy yourselves :D

Also, that yarn is delicious... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...