Monday, June 08, 2009

Sprecken sie socken?

I do enjoy a good knitting challenge. But I may be pushing myself to the limit this time! Bewitched by the project gallery on Ravelry, I tracked down a copy of Stephanie Van Linden’s “Socken Aus Aller Welt”. I have to tell you that these socks are staggeringly beautiful! And that the book is written in German.

No, before you ask, I don’t understand a word of it… yet! And further evidence of my jeopardy is that I didn’t even realise the charts were contained in a separate booklet attached to the inside back cover. I thought I was going to have to use the photos to work out the stranded designs! It was only when I noticed the repeated mention of a “strickenjournal” and the word “seite” (which my daughter told me means “page”!) followed by a number that I tracked it down and realised the task ahead had just become more achievable!

Thank heavens for Ravelry! There is a support group for knitters of Stephanie’s patterns and links to linguistic back-up resources and tips. I totally immersed myself in the book over the weekend and now recognise at a glance the words for “circular needles” and “stitchmarkers”. I can even just about tell which socks are knitted toe-up!

But I am under no illusions: this is not going to be easy! It doesn’t help that my magpie-eye is drawn to the most complicated designs with diagonal shapings and unusual heel construction! Ironically, the easiest patterns for a non-German-speaker are probably the multi-coloured ones!

I would be very surprised if this book is not translated into English very soon, because it is an absolute stunner. But if you can’t wait… you can buy a copy very reasonably from the Book Depository via Amazon Marketplace – the listing says “Used like New” but my copy looks box-fresh.

3 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Those are gorgeous! The last pair with the birds is my favorite. Good luck with the whole German thing!

RooKnits said...

Oooh, they are all so gorgeous. I was talking to Probably Jane on Saturday and she was telling me about the chart book at the back - was just about to email you.
I have a feeling I might need this book.

Kyoko said...

Gorgeous designs! Oh, I want to make the first one! I agree it looks very difficult. But it probably would be worth it :D