Tuesday, July 21, 2009

FO: Trilobite Socks

I finished the Trilobite socks from Wendy's book "Socks From The Toe Up".

The yarn is bfl Echo self-striping from Fyberspates in the colour "Woods", rescued from the jaws of nest-building mice under my bed (eeurgh!)

I used 2mm dpns and knit the large size, which is not ridiculously wide after all - it actually looks quite narrow off the foot.

I really really like the heel construction on this sock - it has all the positive attributes of a normal heel-flap sock but there is no picking up of stitches down either side - it is knit in one piece with decreases either side of the heel flap (toe up, remember).

Would I knit it again? Probably not, because I have so many sock patterns I want to knit... but I will definitely use the basic heel shaping recipe again - love it!

FL is very pleased with them, though they are a bit shorter than he prefers. He even hoisted his feet onto the windowsill for this photo, despite it causing a coughing fit. He is still quite unwell, but we think the antibiotics are working. Fingers crossed.



2 comments:

RooKnits said...

I love that colourway.
Fab socks. Fingers crossed.

tea and cake said...

The heel on these is really neat (as in tidy) aren't they? Smashing socks.