Tuesday, August 25, 2009

FO: Aestlight Shawl

I finished knitting Aestlight on Monday evening.

FL stands by his description of it as "like chain mail" and he was surprised at how soft it is. Because it is VERY soft! If you have some Malabrigo Sock in your stash, don't waste it on socks, it will only go fluffy and holey and depress you. Make a shawl instead! And if you don't want a shawl yourself, consider making one for a man - because this shape (perhaps minus the final pointy edging) looks great on a man too if he wears it with a triangle at the front, like Stephen here or here. I am thinking of making one for my son for Christmas, and FL is definitely interested!



Stats: The Aestlight Shawl by Gudrun Johnston. About 3/4 skein of Malabrigo Sock, colourway "Eggplant" and 1/4 skein of Fyberspates Echo BFL Sock, colourway "Flower Garden". 4mm Denise circular needles. The pattern is beautifully-written, with so much supportive information I would recommend it as a first lace project. I made a few late night mistakes and had to pick back a row or two a few times - but I always knew where I was and could see how to fix it because the instructions are so clear. There was never that "blind panic" feeling when I dropped a stitch! And the construction was fascinating! You start with a garter stitch triangle, then add the Bird's Eye lace by picking up stitches along the edges of the triangle, and change direction again to knit the pointy edging sideways! Very cool.




I love the atmosphere of this Alice-in-the-Herb-Garden picture my daughter caught of me in the evening sunlight! (Bum looks big though!)

Verdict? I love the way the Flower Garden yarn colour shifts across the bird's-eye lace. If I was to knit it again, I would use another skein of Fyberspates Echo, or maybe some Noro Silk Garden Sock. Somehow it seemed too plain in Malabrigo alone. Will I knit it again? Um.. maybe not, because there are so many other patterns out there calling my name, but it's a good one with lots to like!

3 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

wow fabulous ruth:)

RooKnits said...

It is beautiful. I love the contrast of the yarns.

Margaret said...

Gorgeous shawl. I like how you wear it scarf-style.