Saturday, August 01, 2009

FO: Aubergine trousers


My day off was productive. I finished these trousers, using the same pattern as my charcoal pair (back in the winter).

Lacking a photographer, I stole her studio (bedroom!)and self-timed these pictures, Contrary to what you see, they do not have one leg longer than the other! Apologies for bare midriff exposure in the second pic!

Patrick Lichfield will not be threatened by my photographic prowess.

Stats:
New Look 6190, made in size 12 but taking 2cm seams for a better fit. The fabric is "pure wool with 3% lycra" Super 120 fabric, bought from British Fabrics via their Ebay shop.

The fabric is beautifully drapey and fine - definitely a spring/summer-type wool rather than a winter one.

Having used this pattern twice now, I am ready to say it is my "go to" wide-legged trouser pattern. The instructions are very clear, particularly around the creation of a hidden side-seam zip. The only thing that went wrong was that I sewed the yoke facing the wrong way round - again! To prevent it happening again, I have made a little sketch on the instruction sheet so that I can tell instantly which side is the right-hand seam - I am hopeless at visualising what happens when you turn a garment right-way- out, and left becomes right unless it is a lining... aargh!

Verdict: big success! I wore them out to dinner last night, half an hour after finishing the hem! You might not approve of a machine-stitched hem, but I rather like the way it gives the impression of a turn-up on such a wide leg. I am too short for the bulk of turn-ups, so a deep top-stitched hem is my compromise.

5 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

those are gorgeous:)

Bryony Ramsden said...

Those are gorgeous! You are one clever lady... You look fab in them :)

zombiecazz said...

Fantastic trousers. They look really comfy too.

Susie Hemingway said...

Gosh you're clever. What a great pair of trousers. Must get sewing again!

tea and cake said...

I approve! Both of the trousers and the hem - anything which cuts a corner, and still looks fab is great in my book.