Saturday, August 08, 2009

New sewing project: Dotty Dress


I am still in the mood to sew, and the weather appears to be holding long enough to justify making a summer dress or two. Time I got a move on - it's nearly autumn!

This is dress M / N from “Sewing Lesson”, a recent Japanese book purchase. Mine is version N, by virtue of cutting the skirt on the bias. The fabric is an Anna Maria Horner print from the “Chocolate Lollipop” collection, bought from the Eternal Maker in their Moving Day sale.




I am using a full 2.5 metres, because I realised the pattern has quite a strong repeat and I needed to line up the larger circles to some extent. Plus I didn’t want to place “targets” on my bust area!

It is all cut out and ready to sew. I am thinking I might need to line it or – gasp! – wear a slip, so I am investigating those possibilities before I do something irrevocable that limits my options. I am thinking a fuschia silky chiffony under - layer would be rather sweet hanging below my hemline …


This led me to surfing the web for vintage slippy goodness. I didn't find what I wanted, but I found two fantastic UK-based vintage clothing shops. If this is your style, do have a look - not cheap, but definitely inspirational!



No comments: