Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Seasonal Distractions and plans

The kids are home safe and sound and we are in the last week of the school holidays. Doesn’t time fly?

FL is looking really tired. He says he has a pain in his chest and he can’t tell if it is his lungs or his heart or just a muscular thing due to all the coughing he has been doing. His knee gave way below him while crossing the road the other day, so he is all strapped up with an elastic bandage. Apart from that… he’s fine!

Despite the sunshine, my thoughts are turning to winter knits. It was the latest edition of Knitscene that did it! I am besotted by the short-sleeved hoodie, to the extent of wanting several in all sorts of colours. I need to get past this stage or I will never get round to ordering the yarn for one! The same magazine has a lovely man-friendly sock pattern called Freshman, which I want to knit for FL, some lovely fingerless mittens for my daughter, and a “dagger lace” scarf pattern which I really like but probably won’t get round to.

On the needles, I have the Aestlight shawl, which I pick up in odd moments while waiting for the kettle to boil or the washing machine to finish. There will be nothing exciting to show until I reach the first lacey border and change colour. I have yet to cast on for the second Mad Budgie, and I haven’t wound the wool for my Moonstone cardigan, which I really must do as I am short of a cardigan-type layer to wear to work.

On the sewing front, I have the material for two summer dresses. I can’t help thinking it is hardly worth it now that autumn is nearly here, but that’s the attitude that leaves me a season behind every year! The pattern is Amy Butler’s new Mini Dress and Tunic design, which I first saw over at Mingled Yarn. Elizabeth’s trick of stitching down the central box pleat to add waist shaping turned a baggy frock into a sharply tailored a-line dress which I can see me wearing to work with platform heels or over jeans at the weekend. It looks like a good layering piece too, so I should be able to wear it over a long sleeved t-shirt on cooler days.

The other thing I really need to do soon is sort out my sewing supplies. I am spending too much time looking for things! I need to separate my zips from my bias bindings from my buttons from my threads and label the boxes. I am rather looking forward to this!

2 comments:

tea and cake said...

Ooh, I can see this in a courderoy (?spelling) as well.

Big (gentle) hugs to you and FL.

zombiecazz said...

hoodie looks very cool i'd like it a deep dark red and one in black with an emerald thread running through it.

I like the sorting thing, when I'min the mood too. Sorted my yarn stash today....found lots of forgotten yarn. Made me smile.