Sunday, September 20, 2009

FO: Freshman Socks

Last month's waiting room socks are finished. They aren't going to win any beauty competitions, but they will keep FL's feet warm!

In retrospect, using St Ives and Lorna's Laces "row about" took the lustre away from the colours of the LL. I wasn't fully aware of this until I came to the toe of sock two, and FL suggested I use plain LL rather than break into a new ball of St Ives when the first ran out. The second toe just looks so much more lively. Ah well, it can't be helped! And I only had one skein of LL anyway (a prize from Ambermoggie some time ago). At least the pooling is subdued by this ruse!


Stats:
Freshman Socks by Starathena from Knitscene, Fall 2009. 50g each of Lorna's Laces (Gold Mine) and Sunbeam St Ives (dusty brown). Both heels in plain St Ives, one toe in St Ives, the other in LL.

A very easy knit, with pleasing results. My modifications: added 12 stitches and 12 rows to the pattern repeat to accommodate a man-sized leg and foot.
Would I knit it again? Yes, I might, because it has just enough spice to keep me alert in a waiting room situation without the muttering / needle-dropping antics which can ensue when I am knitting something more complicated (ahem - Zur Lederhos'n anyone?!)

2 comments:

tea and cake said...

well done, and I agree about the toes.

Susie Hemingway said...

What wonderful unique socks, I just love them being different and would wear them without shoes, much too good to hide!