Sunday, September 13, 2009

FO: The Tomboy's Lime Zest skirt


This weekend I was seized by the need to sew. Forget the cleaning and the tidying and the shopping - who needs them?
It began with a sketch of a skirt I had seen on Etsy. I wanted gathered pockets and an underskirt with a flash of lime. But I wanted tweed rather than the original corduroy.
I already had the indigo blue wool in my stash. It was a metre-sized remnant which I had prewashed to remove its original stiffness. The lime green cotton is left over from my Amy Butler pinafore (which I have cut out but not yet sewn!).
I used a simple a-line from my old faithful Japanese skirt pattern book for the main shape.
There was a lot of design-work and decision-making to do - how to make a gathered pocket? What was the best angle to attach it at, to avoid the thunder-thigh look?
I wasn't sure whether to attach the flounce to the outer skirt or the lining. In the end, I added a 6-inch length of cotton, box-pleated at 14 cm intervals, onto the hem of the lining, as I thought gathers might mess up the drape of the top skirt.
I am really pleased with the end result. It is maybe slightly too long, but I wanted to be able to wear it with knee-highs without exposing my knees.
My daughter and FL both think the socks and flat shoes are a mistake. Shrugs.
I do agree I look strangely boyish from behind - as if I was a pirate in a kilt? I really must get my hair seen to!

Stats:
Design 14 from "Everyday Skirts" (Japanese book ISBN4-579-10949-X) in size 11. Improvised pleated flounce attached to the lining. Gathered pocket template free from Unique patterns.

Indigo wool from "British Fabrics" at Ebay. Lime cotton from Tina Givens' Zazu range from Westminster Fibers.
And whatever they say I think it's great with my Clessidra hand-knit socks and matching Shetland Triangle!















3 comments:

Kate said...

great socks and shoes (I own a pair, ahem) - and I love the pockets, the fabric - the whole outfit! Think I may have to get hold of that pattern book..I too am feeling the Need To Sew . . .

tea and cake said...

Perfick! as they say

Flossie said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog (found you in Roo's links) I love the skirt, can I be cheeky and ask where your shoes are from, they're just what I'm looking for at the moment. Thanks!