Thursday, October 08, 2009

FO: Sloochie hat

This was intended as an instant gratification project to cheer me up. And in many ways it was: lovely, smooth, soft, even-textured yarn in a beautiful hand-dyed colour.

A fun top-down pattern with spiralling increases which eventually became second-nature for lazy late-night knitting. Begun on Sunday, finished on Tuesday. The process was fun!





But when it comes to the finished garment, it's not quite right for me.

It is a pixie rasta hat - so you have a baggy bit for hair-stuffing, and a cute and crazy, pointy twisty bit on top. It ought to be my ideal hat! But the pointy baggy bit is too far up to accommodate my usual nape-of-the neck bun. It is actually quite tight at the point where my hair would usually be. I reckon it would be ideal for someone with fairly short dreads or hair that just about scrapes into a tiny high pony-tail... or indeed short hair. Waist-length hair? Not so good.

So it might be a gift for the teen cousin.

Stats:

Sloochie by Woolly Wormhead. Size Large, which is written with 4 inches of negative ease so only measures 18 inches at the brim - be warned! Best knitted in a drapey yarn. Maybe using bigger needles would have improved mine.

Yarn: Dream in Color Classy (now available from Stash yarns in the UK), colourway "Black Parade". A firm worsted-weight superwash merino which I would use again, but not for this pattern. Plenty of yardage - I think I have enough left for a pair of Fetching mitts, making a single skein better value than it first appeared.

No comments: