Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Jane Eyre look

Image credit: Pomadour's shop at Ebay


"Let her stand half-an-hour longer on that stool, and let no one speak to her during the remainder of the day." (Jane Eyre)

My sewing momentum has fizzled out again, probably because I still haven't worn my new indigo and lime skirt. Why? It doesn't go with anything else I own. It WILL go with my Central Park Hoodie... but I haven't finished it yet!

So it was actually a relief to be seized by a new obsession. This apron dress appears in a Japanese pattern book which I do not own and do not intend to buy... yet.

Why do I like it so much? I think it is the combination of the denim* (it would have to be organic of course) with big pockets and the layered look. A large part of the attraction is the row of giant buttons peeking through the gap at the back, topped by a big bow. Then at the front, there is that super-flat Peter Pan collar over a wide boat neck.

She ought to be standing on a stool in a draughty Victorian orphanage. Or scrubbing the floor with a hard-bristle brush and carbolic soap. Or standing in her art studio, pondering a lump of wet clay.

It is a garment that speaks to me of utility and hard work, but also of creativity. And I want one! I don't think the under-dress is included in the pattern book, hence my hesitation to buy it. I have been tripped up that way before! I am hoping I can draft my own version of the"Tablier" using other Japanese patterns. The under-dress? Hmmm. Not so sure.

*ETA: The original is made of linen. The fabric can be bought from LinenBird in Japan via an online shop called Envelope. And I think that the same shop sells the apron ready-made, but I may be wrong. My Japanese is non-existent. But I will content myself with the book. Sigh. I need to buy the book now! Even though the under-dress is definitely NOT in there.

1 comment:

Segwyne said...

I don't think it is supposed to be a dress. It looks like a smock-style apron, thus you could layer it over any dress you want.

I agree, it is lovely. After seeing the Lola apron you made back in March, I was motivated to make an apron for myself. After 5 kids, my figure isn't what it used to be and I was tired of stains on all my clothes. I made myself a '50s style bibbed apron that I love. I wear it over everything everyday. I have fallen in love with aprons.

I say, go ahead and make it and find some dresses whose sleeves and collars you love to put under it. The rest of the dress wouldn't matter since it would be covered by the apron.