Thursday, November 05, 2009

More rain

It has been very quiet on my blog this week. I blame the rain. We had more rain this weekend. HUGE rain! I had to work at home on Monday because the roads were closed in every direction. It has been too dark to take any pictures of anything new. Then this morning I was cursing myself for not carrying the camera in my car because there were spectacular Lord-of-the-Rings- style mists over the valley. You just can't win!

So here's a random seashore picture of FL from our holiday in north west Sutherland.

FL and I seem to have stumbled into a new phase of our relationship. During the day, he sleeps a lot and listens to the World Service and devours newspapers and books. When I get home, I walk the dog and knit a lot and watch him sleep. At night, I sleep. He gets up around 4 am to read some more and reminisce. Sometimes he wakes me at 5 am to tell me what he has been reading and thinking. He has finally given up golf. This is a major life event.
But it's not so bad. We have been enjoying the tranquillity of our fire-lit evenings together. He is reading The Poisonwood Bible and is so excited by the descriptions of Africa which he says capture exactly his experience when he taught there in the 1960's.

I am hurtling through the second Biwa sock, which is just as well, as my calendar tells me it is November and I have done very little towards my Christmas knitting goals!

To recap:

1. Zur Lederhos'n for FL: stalled towards the gusset of sock one. I am afraid they are going to be too narrow, but I don't have the heart to rip it... yet.
2. Herbivore for my son: not yet begun... and my daughter thinks he would never wear a scarf.

3. Scroll Lace for my mother: not yet begun... and I am not sure she would wear it.
4. Secret something for my daughter: not yet begun, but definitely still on the "to do" list.

5. Teen cousin present: done! The Sloochie hat.

So it looks as if I am ditching ideas 1, 2 and 3. I am thinking FL might like a scarf instead of more socks, so Herbivore might yet be knit! For my mother, I am thinking of knitting the Yarn Harlot's Pretty Thing . If it turns out well, my aunt will get one too, because I appear to have started wearing the Ishbel I knitted for her! And 4 will be a pleasure, but can't be blogged because the walls have ears!

2 comments:

Janey said...

Hi, as usual I too am behind on the christmas present making!! so you aren't alone! I can so understand wearing the ishbel you made for someone else, I made one this summer and it is practically a permanent fixture around my neck, I love that pattern and I think if I did make more I would find them hard to give away. I have found a good alternative that is much quicker to knit and was a free pattern from Noro with a ball of sock yarn, it is triangular and has very long tassels on each corner. Comfy to wear but easier to give away!!

Bryony Ramsden said...

The Poisonwood Bible is one of my favourite books :) Someone I know said she was incredibly sad when she finished it as she' never get to know the characters again.

Biwas rock :D Pretty thing is delicious looking - what will you knit it in? What about a hat for the son instead if he won't wear a scarf?