Wednesday, December 30, 2009

FO: Wisp


I finished my daughter's present on Boxing Day. It is the Wisp scarf from Knitty. She chose the yarn herself back in the summer, but my first attempt at using it was a disaster and I think she had given up hope of ever seeing it knitted up.



It is Colinette Parisienne and is a cobweb-weight mohair on a strand of nylon. The fluff made me sneeze! I couldn't get my wooden needles to work with it. My Denise's just slipped past each stitch. So I used my only pair of addi golds, which were much smaller than the recommended size at only 3mm.


So my daughter's scarf has a denser texture than the pattern as it was written. As a result, it took a lot longer to show progress and I was quite bad-tempered by the end.


However, she was overjoyed to receive it - hooray! My son was unusually impressed that I had produced it using yarn and needles - it doesn't look like knitting at all, he says!





Here it is with her Christmas locket - one skein made a decent-sized scarf.









Stats:



Wisp by Cheryl Niamath, free pattern from Knitty, summer 2007.


One skein of Colinette Parisienne in unknown colourway bought at the Wool Shed in Oyne.


3mm addi gold needles.


Also required: an awful lot of patience.


It is lovely but I will not be knitting another!


2 comments:

amanda said...

I love this pattern! Was it the pattern itself or the yarn that makes you reluctant to knit another?

Happy New Year!

Roobeedoo said...

Amanda - the yarn was my downfall! But the pattern really benefits from fluffiness so it is the project as a whole which I will be avoiding! If you don't mind knitting fine fluffy yarn you'll be fine!