Saturday, January 09, 2010

Free at last! - and an FO

I made it to work yesterday, despite a cold morning start at minus 11 degrees! FL drove me to town and then went home to sleep in his chair. He still has an upset tummy and a racking cough.

Having to pick me up again in the evening meant he had to find the energy to walk back down the track in the snow to the car, but he managed, and was glad to be able to do it. For me, it felt good to put my desk in order, ready for next week.

We got some firewood and essential provisions and sledged them home. We are warm and well-fed - what more can we ask? It makes me realise how hard it must have been to live here before cars and electricity!

In knitting news, I have rustled up a pair of mitts for Amne.

Stats:

The Lace Twist Mitts from Knitscene Fall 2009.

Less than half a skein of Dream in Color Classy in "Black Parade" with oddments of Hipknits organic merino aran (pink)and Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed (teal) for the stripes and crochet trims.

3.75mm dpns.

Knit as writ, although the stripes were my own invention as I knew I didn't have enough of the DiC yarn. The crochet flower was totally improvised, to cover up a mysterious 2 stitch purled seam which I added to the second mitt because I wasn't concentrating!

A very quick, satisfying knit. I will definitely make them again.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Lovely mitts - hope the weather continues to be favourable.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

those are very pretty:) So glad you managed to get out

RooKnits said...

Lovely mittens. Glad you managed to get out - Tony keeps asking if you guys are ok!

zombiecazz said...

Cute.
I find fingerless gloves very satifiying, but I keep giving them away. I need some pairs for me.