Wednesday, February 17, 2010

FO: Andrea's Shawl

This should have been a quick project, but I was struggling to concentrate and did a lot of ripping back - tsk!

Andrea's Shawl is designed by Kirsten Kapur (Through the Loops) for Knitpicks, and ought to be knitted in alpaca. I thought about buying an extra ball of Drops Alpaca to add to the two I already have, but decided to be "good" and used yarn exclusively from the stash.
I knitted the smallest size of shawl. Medium might have been more practical. The wingspan is a bit short when worn as a scarf.
But my brain was not in gear and I found the lace section a bit tricky, and the striped section took two attempts, for no good reason at all.
Even on the second try, I kept finding my stitch count was out on one side of the centre stitch. I think I was just tired.


Sorry about the blurry back view - my photographer was getting grumpy!

Stats:

Yarn Yard Bonny in brown and Clan in "Probably Jane" - the green.

4mm Denise interchangeable circular needles.
Verdict?
The colours are perfect (all hail to Natalie, hand-dyer extraordinaire!), but I should have used a softer yarn base. Don't get me wrong - this is perfectly wearable as an everyday scarf, but all that effort deserved a bit of fluff and luxury.
I still want to knit the Drops Alpaca version - oh dear! Maybe my brain will function better on the next attempt!

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

Tis gorgeous. Those colours look fab together.

feresaknit said...

Lovely. I think you deserve a medal just considering knitting a lace that patterns on both rows on a circular needle! But twice!!!!