Tuesday, February 23, 2010

So what's new?

I would dearly love to regale you with tales of finished knits and successful sewing, but my craftiness has been very low-key over the last few days.

Knitting:

I am plugging away with the Mulled Wine sock. I finally "got" the holly sprig pattern last night, so hopefully it will be a quicker knit from here on in.

I have just started the back section of my Helleborus Yoke, having completed the right front and right sleeve. There is a mistake on the right front, about 2 inches in to the knitting. I am viewing it as a brooch-wearing opportunity. Shrug.

Sewing:

I haven't made any sewing progress, but I have ordered three lengths of fabric from Croft Mill to make wide-legged trousers. My tweedy skirt work "uniform" isn't doing it for me anymore. It doesn't fit with the new hair. I am thinking quirky tailored jackets with big trousers.

The quest for jackets left me speechless with shock at the price of ready-to-wear. I have tailored perhaps three jackets in my time and all were successful. But can I find a pattern I like? Nope. I think I will have to scour the vintage sewing aisles of Etsy and Ebay.

I did find some amazing non-jacket patterns at a French site Au Bonheur des Petites Mains. They do plus-sizes, which impressed me. I especially liked the Pantalon avec jupette a la taille until I remembered my infant daughter wearing this style over cloth nappies and looking frankly enormous! So maybe not for me. But I am seriously tempted by this big-pocketed coat: Manteau Poches Sac. Wow!

Health

FL is doing OK (cautious optimism rools, OK!), with happier bowels, an improved appetite, and regular naps. He is not at all impressed by the need to sleep during the day, but he has no choice. Paracetamol is definitely helping, but he needs something to counteract his "electric shocks" at night.

Reading

I am reading "What I Loved" by Siri Hustvedt. The Observer called it "an intellectual page-turner". I am struggling to visualise the artist's 3D box painting / sculptures and have started skipping over the descriptions... which is silly because I know they are important. But I am intrigued by the character of Violet, so was reading it over breakfast today, which is definitely a sign of something.

1 comment:

RooKnits said...

That coat is splendid!