Monday, March 22, 2010

FO: Kalajoki socks


My first pair of socks for 2010. (I can't really count the Mulled Wine socks, considering they were begun in 2008!)
And some serious spring sunshine!

Stats:

Kalajoki socks from a free pattern on Ravelry here. I used Socks That Rock mediumweight in the Lucy colour and size 2.75mm dpns.
There are only 54 stitches round these socks, and a lot of those are plain knitting, so a quick project.
I really like the twisted rib "river".
This is my first outing with Socks That Rock and I can see what all the fuss is about - or was, before Wollmeise became the "hot" sock yarn! It's a lovely firm twist, beautifully dyed. Fabulous to highlight twisted stitches.
I was really happy to see it forming stripes as I knitted - there is only one "pool" on each sock and they are pretty much identical.
I have a LOT of yarn left over. I could have made these at least 4 inches longer.
Verdict?
I love the yarn and the pattern and the finished socks - woo hoo!

2 comments:

mooncalf said...

They are excellent socks. I love the subtle waves and I think the natural blue-brown colour scheme works really well with the organic, natural design - reminds me of ripples on the beach and rock pools.

RooKnits said...

I do love this pattern! I've always been a bit disappointed with STR - the colours on two of the pairs I knitted have faded significantly :o( Fingers crossed yours don't.