Finished at last! My 1940's Tea Dress is finally done, dusted, ready to wear!
I made so many adjustments, it is barely recognisable.
Once the lace was gone, I changed the neckline, added pleats to the sleeve ends, and cut 8 inches off the length.
The buttons were supposed to go all the way down the front, but they are made of glass and are quite heavy. I thought they would distort the shape and I risked a gaping front. So at my daughter's suggestion, I stitched the front closed below the waist. Much safer!
I also realised it was hanging off my shoulders. I have ordered shoulder-pads, but in the meantime I have stitched in a couple of pleats across the shoulders, which add a bit more definition to the top of the sleeves, and make the whole thing fit me much better.
It now looks a lot more 1970's than 1940's. Shrug.
And the colour looks terrible on me without red lipstick!
1948 mail order pattern from "Today's Pattern Bureau".
Fabric: viscose crepe from The Remnant House, for only £2.80 a metre. It is quite a heavy "cold crepe" and it doesn't go static - woo hoo!
Buttons: vintage black glass. 36 buttons for 99p from Eeee Baaay.
Lipstick: Benefit Flirt Alert, won from a lucky number on a Flake wrapper!