Sunday, June 13, 2010

FO: The 1940's Tea Dress


Finished at last! My 1940's Tea Dress is finally done, dusted, ready to wear!

I made so many adjustments, it is barely recognisable.
Once the lace was gone, I changed the neckline, added pleats to the sleeve ends, and cut 8 inches off the length.

The buttons were supposed to go all the way down the front, but they are made of glass and are quite heavy. I thought they would distort the shape and I risked a gaping front. So at my daughter's suggestion, I stitched the front closed below the waist. Much safer!

I also realised it was hanging off my shoulders. I have ordered shoulder-pads, but in the meantime I have stitched in a couple of pleats across the shoulders, which add a bit more definition to the top of the sleeves, and make the whole thing fit me much better.
It now looks a lot more 1970's than 1940's. Shrug.
And the colour looks terrible on me without red lipstick!

Stats:
1948 mail order pattern from "Today's Pattern Bureau".
Fabric: viscose crepe from The Remnant House, for only £2.80 a metre. It is quite a heavy "cold crepe" and it doesn't go static - woo hoo!
Buttons: vintage black glass. 36 buttons for 99p from Eeee Baaay.



Lipstick: Benefit Flirt Alert, won from a lucky number on a Flake wrapper!

8 comments:

RooKnits said...

Fabulous. I love it

Rebecca Weber said...

It's lovely. I knew it would be. Play up the eyes and the lipstick is smashing. You really do look lovely.

Rebecca Weber said...

It's lovely. I knew it would be. Play up the eyes and the lipstick is smashing. You really do look lovely.

CCK said...

You are a wizard at this! I love how this dress has turned out and yes, the lipstick does the trick!

Sandy said...

What a stunner you are - the Lady in Red! FL should be quite dazzled to have you brightening up his life this way! I like the changes to the original and it definitely doesn't look like a haus-frau uniform!

bagqueen said...

You look fab, don't worry about the 70s or 40s it makes you look young, hip and fabulous and thats what counts. I'm so impressed that you stuck with it and altered it to suit you, especially when you had to undo all that lace!! I don't have that perseverance!!

feresaknit said...

Looks so much better than the pinnie. Will you be wearing it to do the gardening as well. Love the shoes with the dress - bit high for me I'd fall over!

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

stunning:)